The chairman of Coscharis Group, Cosmas Maduka, is a rare businessman who has redefined the automobile industry in Nigeria with his vision.
Unfortunately, his father died just a few years after his birth, thereby leaving his mother to take care of him and the rest of his siblings.
But today, Dr. Cosmas Maduka is the Founder and Chairman of Coscharis Group of Companies and sole distributor for BMW in Nigeria.
From almost zero capital, Mr. Maduka was able to build his business from the ground into a conglomerate. Forbes dubbed him ‘The $500-Million Survivor’. Cosmas Maduka’s success story is one of determination and hard work.
Cosmos Maduka Date of Birth
Publicly available records show that Cosmos Maduka was born on December 24, 1958 in Nnewi, a town in Anambra State of Nigeria.
Dr. Maduka is a holder of Honorary Doctor of Business Administration (PhD) of University of Nigeria, Nsukka in 2003.
He is an Alumnus of Harvard Business School (Executive Education Program).
Maduka is married to is married to Charity Maduka with four sons and daughter. lives in Lagos, Nigeria.
Source of wealth
Dr. Cosmas Maduka is the founder, President/CEO of Coscharis Group. He started Coscharis Motors as a one-man business and over the years has transformed the organization into an indigenous conglomerate with diverse interest in Manufacturing, ICT, Petrochemical, Auto care and Auto Components, Automobile Sales and Services, Agric and Agro Allied business sectors of the Nigerian economy.
Through his visionary leadership Coscharis Motors has secured sole franchise of BMW, MINI, Rolls Royce and Jaguar Land Rover premium brands and Abro USA Auto care and Consumer products amongst others. Coscharis is also a very strong partner for distribution of Ford brand of automobiles in Nigeria. He is currently serving on Board of many companies notable among them are CG-EKO LLP, First System Refinishes Ltd., CG Biostadt Limited, Sixt Rentals, Nigeria. He served as a Director in Access Bank Plc., one of the leading banks in Nigeria for 12 years from 2000-2012.
Dr. Cosmas Maduka is an Entrepreneur per Excellence. He is a motivational speaker and plays mentoring role to upcoming entrepreneurs
What You May Not Know
- Coscharis Motor was established in 1977 and the name is a combination of his first name “Cosmos” and his wife’s first name “Charity”. The business struggled at some points until 1982 when ten Nigerian companies, including Coscharis, were granted licence to import auto spare parts.
- Coscharis has expanded into a conglomerate specialising in different sectors of the Nigerian economy including automobile sales and serving, auto spare parts and care, manufacturing, ICT, petrochemicals, agro allied and many more
- By age six, a very young Maduka was sent off to Lagos to serve his trader uncle, in line with the long-running Igbo apprenticeship system.
- The wife of the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Coscharis Group, Dr Cosmas Maduka, is dead, she died in November 2021.
- Cosmas Maduka seats on the board of several reputable companies and organization. He served as a Director in Access Bank Plc., one of the leading banks in Nigeria for 12 years from 2000–2012.
- He built the Coscharis brand from an upstart with little or no capital into a colossus with tentacles spread across major auto luxury brands – Range Rover, BMW, Ford, Jaguar, etc.
In 2003 Cosmas Maduka received an Honorary Doctor of Business Administration (PhD) University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
MADUKA was reported to have been swindled the sum of N21 billion by Ifeanyi Ubah of Capital Oil and Gas in a business transaction.